3 Important Factors to Consider When Choosing a Wedding Venue
Plus A Comprehensive Wedding Venue Checklist You Should Use
Finding the right wedding venue that ticks all of the boxes can be a little nerve wracking for many couples. Most couples have a list of must-have items in mind, but there’s a laundry list of items that don’t cross most people’s minds that are important factors to consider when choosing a wedding venue.
Before we dive into a comprehensive wedding venue checklist that you should use as you research ( or visit ) your wedding venue, let’s dive into three top factors I tell my wedding planning clients to consider during their search for the perfect wedding venue.
These three factors are the ones you should keep at the forefront of your mind as a “filter” as you research wedding venues. They’re kind of like the “gatekeepers,” if you will. Run every wedding venue past these three considerations before you add it to your list of venues that you should then run through the comprehensive venue checklist I’ve included below. This will help streamline your process and save you lots of time.
Consider Your Wedding Season
When it comes to choosing your venue, consider the season you’re getting married in. This goes beyond just thinking about indoor and outdoor venues for summer and winter weddings. Consider where your venue is located and what the roads are like leading to it. Is it in a location that’s difficult to access when it’s rainy? A place in the country might be picturesque, but if there are dirt roads and grassy areas that could get mushy and lacklustre, it’s important to think through those things. If you’re getting married in the city, consider whether there are any huge events going on in the area and how that might impact guest travel and the ambiance. If you’re getting married in a stunning yet vintage venue in summer that lacks central air conditioning, you and your guests might sweat through your outfits.
Always pick a venue that compliments the season you’re getting married in and think through how things like the weather, sunlight, lack of sunlight and cool or hot air might affect your décor, guests, comfortability, pictures, transport and more.
Consider the Design Elements of a Grand Venue
Let’s be honest—grand venues often come at a grand price, but here’s why you might want to spend on one. Grand venues are organically beautiful and naturally stately which means they don’t require a lot of décor or dressing up. You won’t have to completely cover the ceiling with drapery or set aside a huge budget for décor and design. These venues are already well-designed and well-laid-out so with a few finishing touches and sprinkles of your personality, you can create a stunning atmosphere and ambiance with little effort or extra money.
Consider the Travel and Transport Ramifications On Your Guests
When you’re looking at your venue, think about your guests and how they’ll get there. What are the transport options? How far out is it? Do you need to allow for extra travel time between the ceremony and reception if you’re having them at different locations? Is parking available? Where is it?
The last thing you want to do is make it difficult for your guests to arrive. If your venue is a bit of a jaunt, consider having your ceremony and reception at the same location, so guests don’t have to travel as far or long. Little considerations around travel and transport can make all the difference for the comfort of your guests and the timeline and flow of your wedding.
Now that we’ve covered some initial factors you should consider right out of the gate, let’s dive into the wedding venue checklist.
Your Comprehensive Wedding Venue Checklist
Here’s a list of questions you should ask every venue you’re considering for your wedding:
- Is my wedding date available?
- What is your guest count capacity?
- What packages do you have and what to they include?
- Can I have both my ceremony and reception here? Are they in the same room or do I have access to multiple spaces within the venue
- What square footage is available for the band, DJ, and dancefloor?
- What’s the parking situation and is this venue accessible by public transportation?
- Do you accommodate disabled individuals?
- Will any construction projects or landscaping changes be happening before or during my wedding day?
- Are there any restrictions as to what lighting, ceiling drapery, or structures can be built or used?
- Where are the outlets? What are the power specs? Is there enough to power the band, lighting, etc?
- Do we need to have any permits?
- What’s the rain plan should I choose an outdoor location?
- Can we bring in our own decor?
- Can we bring in our own liquor?
- Do you have a list of preferred vendors? Can I bring in my own vendors?
- How many events do you book at one time? How many do you anticipate having on my wedding date?
- Who will be my point of contact at the venue?
- What’s your cancellation policy?
- Can I get a copy of your contract to read?
- If I go over the allotted hours in the package I select, what is the overtime rate?
- Is there climate control for the space I choose? Do I have access to control the temperature for the space?
- Do you offer onsite catering and service staff? Can we bring in outside food?
- How many restrooms do we have access to or what is the restroom situation for an outdoor wedding?
- Do you have on-site accommodation? If so, do you offer a group discount code for guests to book?
- Do you have some testimonials we can read?
There you have it. I hope this helps you create a short-list of venues and ultimately pick the perfect one that has everything you’re looking for in a space. For more wedding planning tips and advice on how to maintain grace and ease as you plan your wedding, grab a copy of my book The Chaos Free Bride-to-Be on Amazon, which is linked below.
Until next time…
Venue: Chateau Mcely, Mcely Czechia
Stepan Vrzala | http://www.stepanvrzala.com/
Contact Love From Mwai for more details or to discuss your upcoming wedding.